Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Soba Noodles

This week I decided to try something new. My friend gave me an Awesomely Amazing cookbook for a secret Santa. It held the secret  to Soba  Noodles, as I said I tried it. Heaven! It was amazing just like it said it would be. "It's even better the next day" she wrote. You should so look up the recipe and try it. Like I said, Delicious.

My family rated this dish on a scale of 1 (disgusting) - 10 (tastes like heaven). 9, 4, 8 and a 15. that's pretty delicious for a first time rating. My  mom added a few things that weren't in the recipe, including red cabbage and peanut butter. You should definitely try this at home.

According to Health Hokkido, a health information website for the people of Japan, soba noodles are

...native Japanese noodles made of buckwheat flour. They are roughly as thick as spaghetti, and they are prepared in a variety of hot and cold dishes. The most basic soba dish is "zaru soba", in which boiled, cold soba noodles are served with a dipping sauce. Like pasta, soba noodles are available in dried form in supermarkets, but they taste best if freshly made by hand from flour and water. Recently soba making has also become a popular attraction. Last year the Asahikawa International Committee held a workshop for soba making with some volunteer translators in Etambetsu, a small rural area on the edge of Asahikawa.
 
I think that soba noodles are a great way to learn more about the Japanese culture and tradition. In addition to their food being yummy they also have a great way to run things and themselves. Just ask my parents,  they went to Japan for a couple of weeks to visit some friends and learned about Japanese culture when they were there. This was a great recipe you should totally check it out sometime. -Ginger (:

1 comment: